Is a Job Interview thank you letter worth the effort?
The best candidates know the importance of sending a job interview thank you letter.
Why send a thank you letter?
• It shows you are enthusiastic about the position – employers want to know that you will want the job
• It shows you have the right kind of attitude
• It shows you are proactive, most candidates simply walk away
• It makes you stand out from your competition, who won’t send them
• It’s good interview etiquette
• It lets you re-emphasize the positive things about yourself from the interview
What to do when sending a thank you letter
• Consider sending your thank you in the form of a thank you email. Research suggests a growing number of employers prefer this to the more traditional snail mail version. You know the employer. Decide which you think is best.
• Aim to send it within a day of the interview – you want it to arrive while the employer is still in the process of evaluating candidates
• Thank them for their time
• Let them know you are interested in the position
• Mention what you learned during the interview when you write a thank you letter, specifically those things you feel you are qualified to do.
• If the company's procedure is to hold second interviews for the position, show your interest in coming in for a second round.
Move on to Salary Negotiation
Move on to Job offers
Return from Job Interview Thank You Letters to Interview Tips home